Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fall Inspiration: The Freshman (1925)



Today's post is about the 1925 silent film, The Freshman, staring the greatest silent film star of all time Harold Lloyd.

imdb.com
The Freshman is one of the funniest and most timeless silent films I've ever seen (despite my age I have seen many). I first saw the film last year during a Harold Lloyd marathon on TCM and have been slightly obsessed with it ever since. This fall, since I'm going away to college for the first time, I decided to figure out a fall wardrobe inspired by The Freshman because it has one the most inspirational selections of collegiate wear I have ever seen.
from the you tube video above
from the you tube video above
dvdtalk.com
The funniest part of the movie was his special college handshake. He would start off by doing a little jig (which I spent about an hour after viewing mastering), then extend his hand and say, "Step right up and call me Speedy!"
***
When coming up with my style board I wanted to mix vintage and preppy and was inspired by both the menswear and girl's clothes.
From Left to right:
Top row:  all urbanoutfitters.com
2nd row: modcloth.com, sperrytopsider.com, Jeffery Campbell shoes
3rd row: forever21.com, urbanoutfitters.com, modcloth.com
4th row: allynscura.com, 6pm.com, modcloth.com

One more thing! when I originaly posted this I forgot a key item. These bow ties from fredflare.com!

Now for some shameless self advertisement...
First: If you like my blog you can follow me. The number of followers I have gives me an idea of how my blog is growing. I want to expand it more, but hope to have a little wider audience to share it with.
Second: I have a Bloglovin' and Formspring account so if you prefer to follow through bloglovin' do that and feel free to ask me any questions either on the blog or on formspring (though I'm kind of confused how to answer questions in comments, maybe you guys could share with me how you respond.)
Third: If you have any suggestions on how I can make my blog better, please, share your opinion with me. I love constructive critisism so lay it on me!
Fourth: Thank you to all my followers for following my small blog and those who comment, I'm improving the site every day with the motivation you guys give me. I recently looked at my first post again ang was suprised how much the blog has changed in a short time; the photographs are bettter, the writing is of a better quality, and my style has developed rapidly.

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving this college-inspired style board! It makes me want to go back to school. Although I guess I don't need a college campus in which to strut my schoolgirl-inspired stuff! Plus I can live vicariously through you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is gorgeous and I love this post! You have a new follower :)

    Adrienne
    http://lolarocksclothing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your picks from urban outfitters!

    Just letting you know i'm hosting a giveaway and would love for you to enter: http://trishiekoh.blogspot.com/2010/07/norfolk-knitted-bow-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has an adoration for silent movies! I haven't seen this one in so long that I almost forgot it existed.

    I do screenwriting a bit myself, and put making a silent short on my list of things to do before I die several years back... but never really fell in love with an idea to use for it.

    So happy this movie was on youtube... watched the whole thing and bookmarked it so I remembered it's there :)

    -Weezy from http://beautysimplistic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Critiques, questions, and admiration is much obliged ♥

I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible
-Catherine